Dahlia Lithwick’s relevance problem

Cathy Young points out how low the left has gone in its assault on John Roberts. Slate’s affirmative action legal columnist, Dahlia Lithwick, has taken to combing over essays Roberts wrote while a junior in high school: Score one for Bruce Reed. He picked up on what I completely missed this week: that the most … Continue reading “Dahlia Lithwick’s relevance problem”

Cathy Young points out how low the left has gone in its assault on John Roberts. Slate’s affirmative action legal columnist, Dahlia Lithwick, has taken to combing over essays Roberts wrote while a junior in high school:

Score one for Bruce Reed. He picked up on what I completely missed this week: that the most telling aspect of Supreme Court nominee John Roberts’ adolescence was not his staunch refusal to get high in the woods, but his contempt for all things female. Closely reading an essay Roberts penned in 1972 for his high-school newspaper, Reed notes that the 17-year-old went beyond arguing for keeping girls out of his Catholic all-boys school. He evinced a horror of “giggling and blushing blondes” that seems to have been airlifted right out of the 1950s: poor beleaguered Roberts and a gaggle of giggling Gidgets.

By “contempt for all things female” Lithwick means “dislike for the crazed agenda of the most extreme man-hating feminists.”